Learn English through Everyday Expressions (Set 7)


  1. My brother-in-law is a freshman at HCC.
  2. Do you do any sports? Yes, I go swimming/ running/ sailing/ canoeing.
  3. Do you play football/tennis/badminton?
  4. What’s your favourite sport? I like motor racing best.
  5. We play tennis/badminton/volleyball/basketball on a tennis/badminton/volleyball/basketball court.
  6. We play football/cricket/rugby on a football/cricket/rugby field or pitch.
  7. We swim in a swimming pool.
  8. Do you like westerns? (film) No, I like science fiction films best.
  9. The best action film I’ve seen was Goldfinger with James Bond.
  10. If I see a horror film, I can’t sleep.
  11. Zelda Glitzberg is a film star.
  12. I like films by Iranian directors.
  13. Do you go to the cinemas often?
  14. Yes, I go every week.
  15. No, I watch videos at home.
  16. What’s on at the cinema this week?
  17. It’s a comedy called Airplane.
  18. Have you seen The Monster? Yes, I saw it on TV.
  19. Did you like The Adventure of Tom Sawyer? Yest, I loved it/ enjoyed it.
  20. Did you like the movie? No, it was boring. (= makes you want to fall asleep)
  21. Can you watch horror film? Yes, if I’m not on my own.
  22. I watch TV every evening. (Not see TV)
  23. Did you watch/see the film about President Kennedy?
  24. I listen to the radio every morning.
  25. What programmes do you like best on TV and radio?
  26. I like watching films on TV. (Or I like to watch…)
  27. I like listening to music on the radio. (Or I like to listen to…)
  28. I often listen to CDs or tapes when I am relaxing.
  29. At the weekend, we usually watch a video.
  30. A lot of young people play computer games every day.
  31. Do you use the internet?
  32. I really like cooking. 
  33. Do you like gardening?
  34. We grow flowers and vegetables in our garden.
  35. I live in a flat. I don’t have a garden, but I have a lot of house plants.
  36. I read a lot at home.
  37. What do you read? I read novels.
  38. I like books about nature/ adventure.
  39. I like magazines about rock music and sport.
  40. Do you read a newspaper every day?
  41. Sometimes we invite friends around. (= we ask them to come to our houe/flat)
  42. I often have people/have friends to dinner.
  43. My best friend comes to stay sometimes. (=sleeps in my house/flat)
  44. I talk to my friends on the phone every evening. Or I ring my friends every evening.
  45. Sometimes, I just do nothing.
  46. I like to have a sleep after lunch. Or I like to take a nap after lunch.
  47. There was a burglary at the school last night.
  48. John West murdered his wife.
  49. There are a lot of muggings in the city centre.
  50. A robber robs a person or a place.
  51. That bank was robbed yesterday.
  52. My sister was robbed in the city centre.
  53. A thief steals something.
  54. Somebody stole my bicycle.
  55. I was robbed in the city centre yesterday.
  56. A student was arrested for shoplifting this morning.
  57. The police came to the school and spoke to his teacher.
  58. The student has to go to court next week.
  59. If he is guilty, he will have to pay a fine.
  60. If he is innocent, he can go home.
  61. I don’t think he will go to prison.
  62. Some vandals broke the windows in the telephone box.
  63. We have a lot of vandalism in my town.
  64. A lot of young people take drugs nowadays.
  65. I football hooliganism a problem in your country?
  66. The news is on TV at 8 o’clock every night.
  67. Do you watch soaps/ soap operas? Home and Away is my favourite.
  68. I like nature programmes best.
  69. I watched documentary last night about drugs and young people.
  70. I talk shows, people talk about very personal and private things in their lives.
  71. The children watch cartoons on Saturday mornings.
  72. I always watch sport programmes and films.
  73. In most countries there are morning newspapers and evening newspapers.
  74. Everny month, I buy a magazine.
  75. My mother buys women’s magazines.
  76. I like news magazines like Newsweek and Time.
  77. My little brother buys comics.
  78. Do you have satellite TV? How many channels do you have? We have 90.
  79. You can read some newspapers on the internet.
  80. There was an interview with the US President on TV last night.
  81. The reports are outside the TV star’s house.
  82. My sister is a journalist; she writes for the NYT.
  83. I always read an evening newspaper.
  84. In Britain, most people have four or five channels. They have more if they have satellite TV.
  85. Satellite TV is getting more popular in Britain every year.
  86. I watch TV less than one hour every day.
  87. The TV isn’t working. Can you repair it?
  88. The washing machine is broken. We need to mend it.
  89. The plants are dying. Did you forget to water them?
  90. The room is untidy. We must tidy it.
  91. I’ve lost my keys. Will you help me look for them?
  92. You’ve cut your finger. You should put on a plaster.
  93. You’ve a row with a friend. Will you aplogise?
  94. Carla had a bad day at work yesterday? She was late for work.
  95. She had too much work to do.
  96. He colleague as in a bad mood.
  97. Her computer crashed.
  98. The photocopier was out of order.
  99. The coffee machine wasn’t working.
  100. My brother broke a glass.
  101. There was a hurricane/ snowstorm/ forest fire there last year.
  102. San Francisco has had a lot of earthquakes.
  103. The river often floods after heavy rain.
  104. There are too many people in some places. Cities are too crowded.
  105. There is a lot of pollution in many cities. 
  106. The air pollution is very bad today.
  107. The river is polluted and a lot of fish have died.
  108. The American War of Independence lasted eight years.
  109. The traffic jams in the city are terrible in the rush hour.
  110. He had a car crash on the way to work.
  111. There’s a teachers’ strike today.
  112. The bus drivers are on strike.

No comments:

Post a Comment