Learn English through Everyday Expressions (Set 4)


  1. I listen to the radio in bed in the morning.
  2. I waited for the bus for half an hour yesterday?
  3. I asked for a black coffee, not a white one.
  4. Where to I pay for our meal?
  5. This book belongs to Sarah Smith.
  6. What are you thinking about?
  7. Helena thanked her mother for the present.
  8. James apologised for being late.
  9. I love looking at old photographs.
  10. Are you looking for the key?
  11. Parents look after their children. (=they take care of them)
  12. I’m looking forward to my recreation leave.
  13. I’m good at geography but bad at maths.
  14. Joe’s always been interested in politics.
  15. I’d be interested to hear what you think.
  16. We’re going to the cinema. Are you interested?
  17. If you are interested in helping, just turn up on Saturday.
  18. I am extremely interested in art. She didn’t look very interested.
  19. I find art very interesting. It was a really interesting lecture.
  20. He is afraid of mice.
  21. John is proud of winning a medal. His mother is proud of him.
  22. I’m used to getting up early.
  23. Joe is good at playing the piano.
  24. John is waiting for a train to London.
  25. This bicycle belongs to the hotel.
  26. The children thanked their grandmother for the money.
  27. Sally is listening to her walkman.
  28. He apologised for his mistake.
  29. Let me pay for our tickets.
  30. Billy is thinking about the holidays.
  31. Hisroshi wasn’t used to eating British food.
  32. He was used to traffic jams.
  33. I was good at physical education and bad at maths.
  34. I usually ask for a black coffee.
  35. I am proud of my family.
  36. I am afraid of going to the dentist.
  37. I like listening to folk music.
  38. I am looking forward to my holiday.
  39. I belong to a tourists’ club.
  40. I am used to eating lots of different kinds of food.
  41. Mr Gorbachev is an ex-President of Russia.
  42. He and his two ex-wives are all good friends.
  43. It is impossible to read his handwriting.
  44. Pre-school children learn by playing.
  45. This work is not very good. Please redo it.
  46. He lives in a house which is a half-hour bus ride from the city.
  47. It is very crowded there and it is impossible for non-residents to park there.
  48. He is rewriting his autobiography in a very informal style.
  49. I don’t know why he redoes it so often.
  50. The book is now available at half-price.
  51. He was late for work so he went quickly to the station.
  52. The little child danced happily across the grass.
  53. The mother was smiling with happiness as she held her baby in her arms
  54. They said goodbye with great sadness because they knew they would probably never meet again.
  55. That beach is very popular with tourists because it is long and sandy.
  56. It’s a lovely sunny day.
  57. This book is quite good.
  58. My bedroom is very quiet.
  59. Why do I always lose my keys!
  60. These trousers are very loose.
  61. Yesterday I fell and broke my arm.
  62. I felt ill yesterday, but I feel OK today.
  63. This cooker costs $100.
  64. He is a very good cook.
  65. Will you lend me your bicycle?
  66. Can I borrow your bicycle? Yes, take it.
  67. The passport officer checked my passport.
  68. The mouse controls the computer.
  69. I hope I pass my exams. (=really want to pass)
  70. I have not studied; I expect I’ll fail my exams. (=probable)
  71. Diana had a baby yesterday.
  72. It was born at 1.15 yesterday morning.
  73. It weighed 3 kilograms.
  74. They are going to call him John - after John, his grandfather.
  75. Grandfather John’s birthday is June 16th too - but he was born in 1945.
  76. The baby’s father was born in 1972.
  77. Bill and Sarah got married.
  78. Sarah got married to Bill.
  79. They went on honeymoon to Thailand.
  80. They were married for twenty years.
  81. Bush became ill.
  82. He died last year.
  83. He died of a heart attack.
  84. Bush is dead.
  85. I have two brothers and two sisters.
  86. My sisters are both married.
  87. One sister got married this year.
  88. She had a very big wedding.
  89. The other sister got married four years ago.
  90. One of my brothers is divorced.
  91. His father died six years ago.
  92. His mother is widowed.
  93. Barbara is his niece.
  94. William, Henry and Ian are his nephews.
  95. Sam has/ has got one brother and one sister.
  96. Mary has/ has got two cousins.
  97. Peter has/ has got two nephews but I haven’t got any nieces.
  98. Sara has/ has got only one grandmother now.
  99. Jane is washing her hair.
  100. I have a pain in my leg.
  101. The eye is the hole in the needle.
  102. The face is the front of the clock.
  103. The big hand shows the minutes and the little hand shows the hours.
  104. The neck is the narrow part at the top of the bottle.
  105. The foot of the mountain is the bottom of the mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment