Learn English through Everyday Expressions (Set 5)


  1. My suit is new but these trousers are old.
  2. Her shorts/jeans/tights are blue.
  3. Naomi is wearing a long red coat.
  4. She’s carrying a suitcase and a small handbag.
  5. Sara has (got) a red coat on.
  6. Mary is a very tall woman.
  7. James is quite short.
  8. How tall is Tom? He’s 1.60 metres tall.
  9. Dolly is really slim.
  10. I was very thin when I was in hospital.
  11. A rather fat man opened the door.
  12. The doctor said I am overweight.
  13. How much do you weigh? I weigh 65 kilos.
  14. Sally has dark hair and dark skin.
  15. She has brown eyes.
  16. Polly has blonde (pale yellow) hair and fair skin.
  17. Billy has a beard and long hair.
  18. Harry as a moustache and short hair.
  19. My grandmother is 92.
  20. My uncle is middle-aged, but would like to be younger!
  21. This hospital for elderly people.
  22. My sister is quite pretty. She’s a very beautiful girl.
  23. Jim’s a very handsome man. 
  24. Bob’s a rather ugly man.
  25. I’m not ugly or handsome, I’m just ordinary-looking!
  26. Are your parents old? (Or more polite: elderly)
  27. Why is Sara so thin?
  28. Why does Sara look so thin?
  29. Sara looks very thin, doesn’t she?
  30. Jeff has short fair hair and a bread.
  31. David’s hair is long and he has a moustache.
  32. Kevin is medium height.
  33. Jon is quite ordinary-looking.
  34. I don’t feel well. I must go home and rest. (I’ll probably be OK tomorrow)
  35. I feel ill. Can you get a doctor please. (Perhaps a serious problem)
  36. That food was bad. I think I’m going to be sick. (I want to vomit)
  37. Have you got an aspirin? I’ve got a headache.
  38. I’ve got a toothache. I need to to the dentist.
  39. I’m going to bed with a hot drink. I’ve got a cold.
  40. I get hay-fever every summer, from flowers and grass. I sneeze all day.
  41. My little brother has asthma; sometimes he can’t breathe.
  42. In some countries, mosquitoes can give people malaria.
  43. The drinking water was bad, and many children had cholera.
  44. My uncle had a heart attack. He is in hospital.
  45. Cancer kills many people who smoke every year.
  46. Have a good diet: eat lots of fruit and vegetables.
  47. Get some exercise: swimming, jogging, cycling are good for you.
  48. Don’t have too much stress: relax after work, and don’t panic about work!
  49. I love my family and my best friend.
  50. I like my job.
  51. I don’t like horror films. (I dislike is less common)
  52. I hate my boss.
  53. I prefer coffee to tea. (= I like coffee more than I like tea)
  54. I want a new car.
  55. I want  to buy a new car.
  56. I hope to do well in my exam.
  57. I hope (that) my friend does well in his exam.
  58. I hope (that) the lesson ends soon.
  59. I hope (that) my friend feels better soon.
  60. I hope (that) it gets warmer soon.
  61. I felt surprised yesterday when an old friend rang me.
  62. I felt upset when my boss was rude to me.
  63. It’s my birthday today. Is it? Happy Birthday.
  64. I Austria, Germany and Switzerland they speak German but in Italy they speak Italian.
  65. It’s a sunny day in Tokyo today, but it’s cloudy in Hong Kong.
  66. It’s foggy in Sydney and it’s snowing / it’s snowing in Moscow.
  67. It’s raining in Barcelona but the sun is shining in Madrid.
  68. It’s lovely weather today, isn’t it!
  69. It’s a horrible day, isn’t it!
  70. It’s very hot in Mexico - it is often 45 degrees Celsius in summer.
  71. It’s very cold in the Arctic - it is often minus 50 degrees there.
  72. It’s very wet in London - carry an umbrella when you go sightseeing there.
  73. It’s very dry in the Sahara - it doesn’t often rain there.
  74. A hurricane is a very strong wind.
  75. A storm is when there is a strong wind and rain together.
  76. A thunderstorm is when there is thunder, lightning, rain and sometimes wind together.
  77. We almost never have hurricanes.
  78. Summer is my favourite season because it is warm and dry.
  79. There are some clouds in the sky and a little wind.
  80. Today it is sunny and warm.
  81. You can get a train at the railway station.
  82. You can change money at the bank.
  83. You can read books and newspapers at the library.
  84. You can park your car in/at the car park.
  85. How do I get to Park Street?
  86. Is there a pedestrian area here?
  87. A farmer lives on a farm and works in the fields.
  88. My friend lives in a cottage.
  89. I love nature.
  90. I like walking in the countryside.
  91. There is wonderful wildlife in the north of the country.
  92. In the south of the country, there is a national park.
  93. You can take food and drink and have a picnic.
  94. You can go walking/skiing in the mountains.
  95. We went swimming in the lake. The water was warm.
  96. We went walking along a 5-kilometre path.
  97. We saw some wonderful wildlife in the national park.
  98. We had a picnic sitting by the river.
  99. There are some big forests and a lot of farms.
  100. The countryside is flat. There are a lot of paths where you can walk.
  101. There are a lot of villages and some small towns.
  102. She wants to live in the country.
  103. They are interested in wildlife.
  104. Downtown
  105. Can I have a single/return (ticket) to Barcelona please?
  106. I’d like a book/reserve a seat in advance.
  107. How much is the train fair? (or bus/taxi/airfare)
  108. Was the journey long?
  109. The train arriving at platform 3 is the 16:50 train to Paris.
  110. The Edinburgh train departs (or leaves) from platform 6.
  111. Is there a buffet/restaurant car on this train?
  112. Do I have to change trains for Toronto?
  113. You have to check in an hour before the plane takes off.
  114. I went through customs but nobody checked my passport.
  115. Give your boarding card to the flight stewards when you get on the plane.
  116. Have a good flight.
  117. The plane landed in New York at 5:30.
  118. We hired a car for a week. We had to fill it up with petrol.
  119. Can I give you a lift? I’m going into town.
  120. At the airport, follow the signs to the railway station.
  121. Buy a ticket to Cambridge.
  122. There are trains every hour.
  123. At Cambridge station take a number 5 bus.
  124. The stop is just outside the station.
  125. Get off the bus at the hospital, cross the road and take the first road on the left.
  126. My house is on the corner of the street with a red door.

No comments:

Post a Comment