Learn English through Everyday Expressions (Set 3)


  1. Jack likes jogging round the park every morning.
  2. How often do you go jogging? Do you often go climbing?
  3. We went home because we were tired.
  4. We went home early, so we missed the end of the concert.
  5. We went home when Jane wanted to.
  6. We went home before the concert ended.
  7. We went home after John had sung his first song.
  8. We went home although we did not want to.
  9. We will go home if we are tired.
  10. He sleeps only five hours every night.
  11. Even their 10-year-old son works in the shop.
  12. She works harder than she does.
  13. He works in the shop and his wife does also / too / as well.
  14. Sam was seasick, so he left the navy.
  15. My brother plays tennis better than I do.
  16. We went to the cinema at the weekend.
  17. How many seconds in quarter of an hour?
  18. What is the third day of the week?
  19. What month is your birthday in?
  20. What day will it be the day after tomorrow?
  21. What day was it the day before yesterday?
  22. How many minutes are there in half an hour?
  23. What day is it today?
  24. What day will it be tomorrow?
  25. What is the seventh month?
  26. What day was it yesterday?
  27. What century is it?
  28. What month is it?
  29. Last month it was March and next month it will be May.
  30. In the past people didn’t have even TV but they may travel to Mars in the future.
  31. I’ll be with you in a moment. (= a very short time)
  32. Jane’s in Paris at the moment. (= now)
  33. See you soon! (= in a short time)
  34. We met recently. (= not long ago)
  35. I think you’re in the office at the moment and I’ll be with you in a moment.
  36. We met recently.
  37.  It always snows in Russia in winter.
  38. It often rains in Britain.
  39. The temperature in London hardly gets to 35 degrees Celsius.
  40. I go shopping once a week, on Thursday.
  41. I brush my teeth twice a day.
  42. I see my uncle three times a year.
  43. I play football four or five times a month.
  44. I always go swimming on Fridays.
  45. I sometimes go swimming on Saturdays.
  46. I often go swimming on Tuesday.
  47. I normally go to school/work by bus.
  48. I hardly ever play football. 
  49. I occasionally watch TV.
  50. I rarely drink milk.
  51. I often wear a hat.
  52. I rarely eat chocolate.
  53. I always go to bed at 10.
  54. I never go to the theatre.
  55. There are books and papers everywhere in my room.
  56. Is Mary at home?
  57. Is she in her house/flat? No, sorry, she’s out. No, sorry, she’s away. (in another town/area) No, sorry, she’s abroad. 
  58. Are you studying English at home or abroad?
  59. Are you going away this year?
  60. What have you got in your right hand at the moment?
  61. What is there at the end of this book?
  62. In York Street, there is a cinema on the left and a restaurant on the right.
  63. Where is Mike? Is he out? / away? / abroad?  
  64. She speaks in a friendly way.
  65. He was speaking in an unfriendly way.
  66. The car goes very fast. Isn’t it a fast car?
  67. His car goes very slowly. Is that a slow car?
  68. The music was too loud.
  69. It’s very quiet here.
  70. The teacher speaks very quietly. We can’t hear him.
  71. She sang loudly.
  72. She’s a good driver. She drives well.
  73. He’s a bad driver. He drives badly.
  74. Use a dictionary if you want to.
  75. This furniture is modern.
  76. The traffic is bad today.
  77. I’ll give you some advice about your future.
  78. He can give you some useful information about the United States.
  79. There is some bad news today.
  80. It’s terrible weather today.
  81. Accommodation here is expensive.
  82. I need some fresh air.
  83. Studying is hard work.
  84. Air travel is faster than rail travel.
  85. He ate three loaves of bread.
  86. The man bought two litres of milk.
  87. She gave him a kilo of apples.
  88. Can I have some bread, please?
  89. The east of the country usually has better weather than the west.
  90. We went on two long journeys last year.
  91. This restaurant is better than that one.
  92. That’s a nice jacket. Thank you.
  93. It’s a lovely day today! Yes, it is.
  94. Mary’s a wonderful person. Everybody loves her.
  95. Do you wanna go to London on Saturday? That’s an excellent idea!
  96. The weather last year was worse than this year.
  97. Tim is a horrible person. Nobody likes him.
  98.  I had a terrible day at work today. 
  99. The traffic was terrible yesterday.
  100. I get $500 a week in my job. That’s not bad! (= good!)
  101. I have to get up at 5:30 tomorrow. Oh, how awful! / horrible! (Not how bad]
  102. If we want to make ‘nice’ stronger, we can use wonderful.
  103. Mary is a wonderful teacher. (Not very with wonderful)
  104. She’s very kind; she helps me with the children.
  105. If you are finding that difficult, I could help you.
  106. Mary was anxious to help.
  107. Can you help me find my glasses?
  108. Her brother offered to help her with her homework.
  109. They helped me through a very difficult time.
  110. I’ll help you to the door.
  111. Can I help you off with your coat?
  112. Can I help you to more vegetables? (=to give someone something, especially food or drink)
  113. More police officers on the streets would help.
  114. Organic farming methods help the environment.
  115. The new measure will help boost trade.
  116. We hope this helps to clarify the situation.
  117. Further study will help towards a better understanding of the problem.
  118. Foreign tourists can help revitalize our economy.
  119. Banning smoking in restaurants may help people avoid the risk of illness. (Also: to avoid)
  120. I can’t help thinking that they should have informed the police.
  121. She couldn’t help laughing when she saw it.
  122. I shouldn’t have said it but I couldn’t help myself.
  123. My friend John is very easy-going. (=relaxed, easy to be with)
  124. All his friends are more intelligent than him. 
  125. Martha is a horrible woman; nobody likes her.
  126. My uncle is a difficult person. H is never happy.
  127. That waiter is stupid. I asked for coffee and he has given me tea! (Stupid is a very strong word)
  128. Barbara’s too stupid to understand.
  129. I didn’t ask because I was afraid of looking stupid.
  130. What a stupid question.
  131. This may sound stupid, but just give it a try.
  132. I was stupid enough to listen to him.
  133. It was so stupid of her to interfere.
  134. What a stupid haircut!
  135. It was a really stupid argument.
  136. He kept singing the same stupid song.
  137. Does this shirt look stupid?
  138. ‘I can’t recognise you,’ I said stupidly.
  139. I stupidly loaned him some money.
  140. I don’t like selfish people.
  141. Sara is very good/ well-behaved, but his little sister is very naughty.
  142. Jean was nice/kind/wonderful to me when I was in hospital.
  143. It was nice/kind of you to remember my birthday.
  144. Let me carry you bag. Thanks, that’s very kind of you.
  145. Is you little brother well-behaved? No, he’s naughty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment